Dog Obedience Trainer
Mary Kathryn, CVT, KPA-CTP
Puppy Pre-School Instructor
Holly Humphreys, BS,Veterinary Assistant/Inventory Manager
- Puppy must be 8-16 weeks of age.
- Must have 1st Distemper and Bordetella (kennel cough) vaccine.
- Must have a negative fecal analysis or be on a parasite preventive (by a veterinarian) 7 days prior to starting class.
- Should have owned puppy at least one week prior to starting class.
Class Day and Time:
- The class is a 5-week course that is held on Wednesdays from 6:00-7:00PM.
- Class will be conducted once weekly depending on number of puppies in class.
- Our goal is 4-8 puppies per class.
- Classes are only $110 for 5 weeks! As a bonus, upon graduation (completion of ALL classes) you will receive a graduation packet with puppy goodies and a $15 VVS gift card!!
- What to Bring: Bring your puppy on a 5-6 foot leather or nylon leash (no chain leashes or retractable leashes). Also bring some of your pup’s favorite treats (preferably something soft that can be broken into very small pieces).
- Socialization Techniques
- Proper Toys to Introduce
- First Aid & Safety
- Natural Behaviors of a Dog
- Motivational Techniques
- Q & A Session
- Junior Obedience
- Play Biting
- Pack Mentality
- Handling Exercises
You will receive informative handouts each week, and your pup will be exposed to a variety of objects & experiences.
Basic Obedience Course
Our 6 week Basic Obedience Course is designed to teach you and your dog core obedience exercises. Throughout the class you and your dog will be taught commands such as: “Sit”, “Stay”, “Come”, “Heel”, “Down”, “Leave It”, and so much more! The course also focuses on some behavior issues such as jumping, pulling on the leash, and barking. Classes are group based and can have up to 6 dog/handler teams. Basic Obedience classes are held year-round on Wednesday evening and Saturday mornings (seasonally). Any dog 16 weeks of age or older is eligible to participate.
Advanced Obedience Course
Our 6 week Advanced Obedience Course is designed to teach you and your dog more complex and challenging behaviors. During the class we work to build upon the basic exercises that your dog has already learned by increasing the level of difficulty and adding distractions. One of the most common things that we hear about obedience training is that they “do everything perfect” or they “are well behaved at home”…until something distracts them or they are in a new environment. This class aims to simulate real life distractions in order to make our canine family members better behaved in ALL situations! Throughout the class your dog will also learn new behaviors like Off-leash Heeling, “Place”, “Touch”, “Finish”, and many more! In order to enroll in our Advanced Obedience Course, your dog must have completed our Basic Obedience Course or an equivalent.
Private Training sessions are also available for dogs with specific behavior issues or those who cannot make it to group class dates. These classes are specifically tailored to the needs of you and your dog. Furthermore, they are scheduled at a time that is convenient for you! If you have a dog with behavioral issues, contact our trainer today!
Behavior Consults are scheduled at our office with Dr. Tiffani Crum and our trainer, MK. These appointments are geared toward animals that have complicated behavior issues (aggression, phobias, anxieties, etc.). The behavior consult includes a full physical exam to rule out any medical causes for the behavior. A complete behavior observation and evaluation. Recommendations for any further medical testing or medications. A detailed written behavior modification plan with specific recommendations for rehabilitation. Consult with our trainer to help implement any training recommendations. Follow up support via phone calls and email after the appointment. Behavior Consults are $140 for the entire appointment.